Lu over at Just Lu is doing a series called Housewife MacGyver,
"A year long journey to become more self-reliant through wise use of resources"
Basically she and other bloggers will be sharing their knowledge on various subjects so that we can all become more well rounded, self-reliant women. A Jane of all trades of sorts...and you know I'm ALL about that! Pretty awesome idea, right? 9 out of the 12 months will cover a specific topic. Click here to see the full list. January and February are challenge months. And December is review month.
January's challenge is commit thyself to something and then doing it. Here's how:
- Designate steps along the way as needed.
- Give yourself a time frame in which you will do the something (this week, this month, this year).
- Tell someone -- like your blog readers, hint hint -- about your commitment.
- And come here and share your commitment -- now, when you finish, or both. (The linky party below will be open until the end of the year, just to catch any stragglers. :)
Sounds doable. So what am I committing to? Hmmm....so many things that I want to accomplish this year. But one thing I have really wanted to do is to become a greener household. We already recycle like crazy, I have some homemade cleaners that I use regularly, we try to conserve water, energy etc., we use those twisty long life lightbulbs...but I want to do more.
Here is a list of things I hope to accomplish by the end of the year on becoming a greener family:
- Use the dryer less often, line dry whenever possible.
- Make and use homemade laundry detergent.
- Buy or make a countertop/under sink composter.
- Make reusable snack bags.
- Buy and eat less processed foods
- Plant a garden (even if it's in containers on our deck) and try to keep it alive!
I guess it's kind of a big commitment but I think giving myself a year takes some of the pressure off, and besides this is something that is not only good for my family but for the earth too. I also figure if for some reason I only accomplish one out of these 6 things our family will still be better off then when I started and that is enough motivation for me.
So do you want to get committed? Head over to Lu's blog and join in on the fun!